Robert Bruce Banner is the son of Dr. Brian Banner, an atomic physicist, and his wife Rebbeca. Although Rebecca deeply loved Bruce, who returned her affection, Brian hated the child. An alcoholic, Brian was driven by an insane jealousy of Bruce for being an object of Rebecca's love. Further, Brian believed that his radiation work had altered his DNA and given him a Mutant son. Brian abused Bruce and finally murdered Rebecca and was placed in a mental hospital. Bruce, a highly withdrawn, intellectually gifted youth, in fact, a child prodigy, was raised by his aunt, Mrs. Drake, and he internalized his great pain and rage over his childhood sufferings.
After graduating from Science High School, Bruce studied nuclear physics in Navajo, New Mexico, at Desert State University as the star student of Professor Herbert Josiah Weller. He also studied for a time at Pennsylvania State University, where he met Walter Langkowski (later Sasquatch). He obtained his doctorate in nuclear physics at the California Institute of Technology, alongside Phillip Sterns (later Madman).
Eventually, as an adult and a genius in nuclear physics, Banner went to work at a United States Defense Department nuclear research facility at Desert Base, New Mexico. There Banner met General Thddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross. the Air Force officer in command of the base, and his daughter Betty Ross. Banner and Betty eventually fell in love with each other. Banner designed and oversaw construction of the "Gamma Bomb" or "G-bomb," a nuclear weapon possessing a high gamma radiation output.
Banner was present in the instrumentation bunker at the test site for the first underground test detonation of the Gamma Bomb. Observing that a civilian had breached security and entered the restricted test area, Banner told his colleague Igor Starsky to delay the countdown while he tried to escort the civilian to safety. Starsky, secretly a Soviet agent, did nothing, confident that Banner would die in the explosion, bringing the project to a halt. Reaching the civilian, a teenager named Rick Jones, Banner threw him into a protective trench.
Before Banner could get himself to safety, the Gamma Bomb detonated, and intense waves of radiation reached the surface. Banner was irradiated with highly charged radioactive particles. Due to an unknown genetic factor in his body, Banner was not killed by the radiation, which instead caused him to frequently transform into the vastly powerful, gray-skinned, humanoid monster dubbed "the Hulk".
At first Banner changed into the Hulk at sunset and reverted to human form at dawn. However, Banner's body eventually changed so that his transformations into Hulk were triggered by the release of adrenalin when he became intensely excited, no matter what time of day or night it was.
Usually the Hulk possessed little of Banner's memory and intelligence and was easily enraged. While the military attempted to contain Hulk, he thwarted their every attempt, with Rick Jones, feeling responsible for Banner becoming Hulk, trying to help keep him away from the military. Hulk ultimately thwarted an attempt to destroy America by the Gargoyale another being mutated by gamma radiation. Hulk changed back into Banner and help cure the Gargoyle, who helped Banner escape back to the U.S., where, with the help of Rick Jones, he maintained his identity as Hulk a secret and attempted to keep the Hulk contained at night.
Avengers vs. X-MenEdit
After a few time back to his exile, Hulk was asked by Captain America in Colorado to help the Avengers win the war againstt Cyclops and the X-Men. Hulk agreed to do so, saying "Hulk will smash for you." Because of his invaluable help, he was offered to return as an Avenger as well as he offered his help to S.H.I.E.L.D., so his Hulk persona would be controlled at the same time he could use his vast intellect as Bruce Banner to create new technologies with the necessary resources to help humanity. Among his missions, he helped S.H.I.E.L.D. battle the Quintronic Manand the Byzantine. When the space-time continuum was broken, it was revealed to Banner S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secret splinter branch: T.I.M.E. With the aid of the Tomorrow Man, Hulk defeated the Chronarchists, a group of travelers which took advantage of the state of reality to reknit history to their desire.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
The Hulk is one of the most powerful beings in the universe due to his powers increasing when his rage increases. He is capable of matching the power of beings like Thor, Silver Surfer, and the Sentry.
Transformation: The process by which Banner usually transforms into the Hulk is presumably the result of the chemical catalyst, adrenaline (a.k.a. epinephrine). As in normal human beings, Banner's adrenal medulla secretes large amounts of adrenaline in time of fear, rage, or stress, which hormonally stimulates the heart rate, increases blood-sugar levels, and inhibits sensations of fatigue. Whereas the secretion heightens normal physical abilities in normal human beings, in Banner's case it triggers the complex chemical-extra-physical process that transforms him into the Hulk. The total time of transformation falls anywhere between seconds to five minutes, depending on the initial adrenaline surge, which will be determined by the original stimulus. Soon after the transformation, the amount of adrenalin in the Hulk will return to more normal, reduced levels. However, there have been instances in which Banner became the Hulk without any discernible increase in heart rate or adrenal levels, suggesting that the true trigger mechanism into the Hulk is far more psychological than physical. When the Hulk transforms back into Banner, the excess muscle mass and energy is lost, presumably to the same place he derives it.
- Superhuman Strength: The Hulk possesses the capacity for virtually limitless physical strength. However, each of the primary Hulk personalities possesses a base strength level. While functionally calm, the Gray Hulk is able to lift 70 tons, the Savage Hulk roughly 90 tons, and the Professor Hulk approximately 100 tons. The incarnation referred to as the "Green Scar" is the physically strongest of all the primary Hulk's incarnations. After being exposed to the energies from the exploding core of the ship that originally brought him to Sakaar, Green Scar's base strength level was dramatically increased. While in a calm state, this incarnation was able of lifting well over 100 tons. However, while in an enraged state, adrenaline surges through Hulk's body, magnifying his strength significantly above his standard limits. The Hulk's immeasurable strength is directly proportional to his level of rage, excitement, stress. The Hulk also grows stronger the more radiation and the more dark magic he catalyzes. Finally, like Amadeus Cho explains, Bruce Banner subconsciously restrains the Hulk's full potential by quantifying and mensurating the external variables, preventing Hulk to hurt anyone. Amadeus corroborates this thesis with his analysis of all Hulk's historical conflicts. However, if occurs suppression of Banner's restrictions, the Hulk can neutralize this limitation, like when he becomes the Worldbreaker. The Hulk has also performed impressive feats of strength in his career.
- Among his most amazing feats are supporting a falling 150 billion ton mountain using leverag, ripping through a bunker designed to withstand the explosion of many thousands of megatons in magnitude, eventually overpowering the Invisible Woman, the Thing and the Human Torch, matching the Scarlet Witch (prior to House of M) and Wonder Man, Iron Man and Vision, while the narration establishes that the Hulk's power is greater than their combined might, matching the Super Adaptoid who had acquired strength and durability of a hundred heroes like Iron Man and the Vision (if the statement of the cover is not directly contradicted by the story, then it is correct), closing the doors to a nuclear core that Thor and the Thing together could not budge, reflecting Gladiator`s ocular beams back into his eyes, knocking him unconscious(before entering in the factory), knocking the Silver Surfer out with three punches (both were weakened by the passage through the black hole), matching two Avengers teams during a prolonged period of time in spite of becoming gradually weaker due to physical separation from Banner, almost breaking the East Coast and also threatening to break the entire planet by the emission of energy from his body, destroying the Crypto Man after he was boosted with physical strength superior to that of Thor , overpowering Thor, pushing two spheres of matter and antimatter apart, holding together the tectonic plates of a planet, overpowering field of energy endowed with sufficient power to alter the orbit of a planet, destroying a planet in the Dark Demension after clashing with Red She Hulk, destroying an asteroid twice the size of the planet Earth with a single punch (due mainly to his superior physical toughness and to an impulse produced by the contraction of his legs. Based on the elastic potential energy, the impulse's kinetic energy was provided by the contraction), overcoming a power-draining mechanism which contained much of the combined power of himself, Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer and Namor, applying force to the space-time structure itself in order to prevent the Defenders from being absorbed into a fissure (with the size of the singularity estimated in seven feets according to the Kerr radius for black holes with angular momentum, it's mass and gravitational attraction is therefore equivalent to approximately four hundred Earths), smashing metal adamantium , breaking up the space-time continuum , ripping off a powerful machine designed to battle against the Celestials (levelling down, if it could withstand power proportional to the Kubik`s, many orders of magnitude inferior to the Celestials, this is already significant), and overcoming Onslaught`s enormous strength(which achieved at least Celestial level in raw power. He could alter reality and use telekinesis on Celestial level to amplify his great strength. Even low level reality warpers, like the Freedom Ring, could enhance physical strength. Firstly, the ability to warp reality can essentially materialize the potential. Potential by definition is what can become reality, so the capacity to modify reality basically concretes this function. Young Franklin is the main responsible for the resurrection of Galactus, produced a replica of him, etc. Secondly, the alternate versions varies in intrinsic power. For instance, the 616 version of Mad Jim Jaspers is even more powerful than the Earth-238 James Jaspers. Additionally, the Psi-Lord ranks below the 616 kid Franklin Richards in the energy manipulation official ratings. Thirdly, Onslaught was neutralized because of the Franklin's intervention in order to protect all the heroes. Franklin's interference implies he broke free from Onslaught's control, therefore weakening the entity. Finally, as Onslaught could not evolve by himself, since utilized Hulk for that finality, then it means the Hulk surpassed his strength potential). However, the Hulk's greatest feat was to propagate concussive force through an infinite number of dimensions by the mere impact of the collision with the Iron Clad (entire dimensions, and not multiversal planets. First, the writer describes dimensions and where there are planets there are also dimensions, as every planet is directly vinculated to dimensions. Therefore to send concussive force to planets propitiates to transmit concussive energy to dimensions and their multitudes of astronomical entities. Second, there are literally infinite inter-branched alternate universes in the entire Multiverse. Therefore the postulate that suggests that only planets received the entire energy is probabilistically equal to zero. The force would encompass a strictly infinite number of boundless universes, whose volume is mathematically equivalent to infinite planets. Finally, all the few planets shown were examples of what occurred inside these dimensions. The argument also applies to the premise they were subsections of universes, just replacing the word "planet" for sub-dimension and the word "dimension" for universe. It is important to notice that U-Foes's powers were vastly augmented while on Earth, so that Vector repelled the structure of reality and transported them to Crosroads). Thor even stated once that the Hulk could be stronger than himself.
- Superhuman Leaping Ability: The Hulk is able to use his highly developed leg muscles to leap great distances. While calm, he is capable of leaping roughly three miles. However, as he becomes enraged, his strength increases considerably, which means he can jump much farther than usual. The Hulk has transposed 1,000 miles with a single leap , and he jumped on top of the Mount Olympus from ground level, in a single leap. On more than one occasion, the Hulk has nearly jumped into Earth's orbit. The Hulk also shows incredible precision with his ability to aim his jumps and landings. He grabbed missiles on multiple occasions and landed on islands barely visible from the height he fell from.
- Superhuman Stamina: The Hulk's body counteracts fatigue poisons that build up in his muscles during physical activity. In an enraged state, the Hulk is capable of exerting himself at peak physical capacity for several days before fatigue begins to affect him. However, much like his physical strength, the Hulk's stamina does increase as he becomes angrier.
- Superhuman Durability: In addition to great strength, the Hulk's body possesses a high degree of resistance to injury. The Hulk's skin is impervious to conventional blades, adamantium and vibrainium being among the few metals that are capable of piercing his skin. The Hulk is capable of withstanding high caliber bullets, powerful energy blasts, pressures extremes, falls from orbital heights , maximized heat without blistering, maximized cold without freezing, and great impacts. The Hulk has withstood the impact of a ground zero nuclear explosion and also the Human Torch's Nova Blast , with a temperature of one million degrees Fahrenheit, without any injury. The Hulk was also able to withstand a planet-devastating impact, a planet-shattering impact at point blank range , and a mighty blast from Galactus. The Hulk's durability, like his strength, is fueled by rushes of adrenaline while angry. This is exemplified when Wolverine states during World War Hulk that Hulk's skin was harder to damnify.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his high resistance to physical harm, it's possible to cause the Hulk injury. However, the Hulk is capable of regenerating damaged or destroyed areas of his body (what include internal organs and even his limbs) , with much greater speed and efficiency than an ordinary human. In a notable episode, Maestro molecularly reaggregated his body after being atomized. The Hulk demonstrated his exceptional healing capacity when, during a battle with Vector, all of his skin and part of his muscle mass were extracted. He efficiently recovered the mass and quickly healed. The Hulk's healing factor also enables to resist to physical transmutations. Additionally, the Hulk heals faster and more extensively the madder he gets. For example, Carmilla Black once injected into Hulk's body a chemical substance that neutralizes his healing factor. Amadeus Cho then caused the Hulk to get mad enough for his immune system to fight off the substance.
- Immunity to All Earth-Based Diseases and Viruses: The Hulk is immune to all known Earth-based diseases and viruses, including AIDS. He can operate under intense conditions for extended periods of time due to his body not developing fatigue toxins quickly.
- Longevity: For all intents and purposes the Hulk lives indefinitely. Because of his healing factor that regenerates his cells, and the gamma energy and the dark magic Hulk has absorbed that empowers him, he has an extended lifespan. A possible future persona, the Maestro, was in his physical prime despite being more than one hundred years old. In another alternate future it is implied that the Hulk's body effectively lasts forever.
- Superhuman Speed: Regardless of his size, Hulk's superhumanly strong legs allow him to run at speeds that are far beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete. Nevertheless, this does not grant him sufficiently enhanced reflexes as smaller foes exploit the Hulk's size and use it to their advantage. However, he has been fast enough to catch mortar shells shot at him The Hulk also has eventually been recognized to be extremely fast proportionally to his size.
- Adaptation to Hostile Habitats: There have been several events in the past where Hulk has not only faced extended periods of time in oxygen-less outer space without suffocating, but he has repeatedly spoken in these inhospitable habitats. It was theorized by Nick Fury that the Hulk could adapt to the environment of space as inherent property of his mutation. He based this thesis on accumulated data about the Hulk. For example, Hulk can harmonize his biological structure with the depths of the ocean. It suggests he could adapt to a wide diversity of inhospitable environments.
- Underwater Breathing: The Hulk has been on the ocean floor a number of times. He is able to breathe due to his body developing a gland which creates an oxygenated perfluorocarbon emulsion which fills his lungs and equalizes the pressure. He is therefore able to breathe fluid and avoid decompression and nitrogen narcosis.
- Resistance to Psychic Control: In many instances the Hulk has demonstrated great psychic resistance as side-effect of his rage and the multiple personalities inside his mind.It's virtually impossible to mentally enslave Hulk.
- Extrasensory Perception:
- Astral Form Perception: The Hulk has the unique ability of being able to see "astral forms"--or ghosts. This power has come in handy when working with his fellow Defender, Dr. Strange, who is able to leave his body in an usually invisible, ghost-like state better known as an astral form. Banner subconsciously feared his father's ghost would come back to haunt him, and so the Hulk developed this mechanism to allow him to look out for him. More recent events have shown that the power to see astral forms may now extend to Bruce Banner. However, it was suggested the clarity of the astral forms is diminished when compared to the Hulk's ability to view them. The Hulk's ability to see astral forms may go beyond just seeing individual spirits. The Hulk once experienced a whole town in the middle of the desert that faded away into nothing. While it is possible it was merely a mirage, it is possible the Hulk was able to see a town that did not exist in our plane of reality that no one else could see.
- Homing Ability: The Hulk also has a seemingly mystical homing ability that enables him to locate the area in New Mexico where he first became the Hulk. This applies even if the Hulk is in another dimension. An image of the Maestro once explained to Bruce that the reason he was able to do that was because the Maestro's spirit was there, calling to him. However, since the time Maestro was resurrected the Hulk has continued to return to the gamma bomb site, suggesting that there is more to his ability than merely the Maestro's spirit. This homing ability has also been used to find people on rare occasions. For example, the Hulk was able to dig a tunnel underground exactly in the direction of the Onslaught. While it is possible that Onslaught was mentally leading the Hulk to him, there were other instances of Hulk demonstrating this ability. The Hulk's instincts led him to Rick Jones and Betty and the Hulk located the Abomination with no prior knowledge of his whereabouts.
- Gamma Radiation/Energy Manipulation and Emission: Not usually a power associated with the Hulk, but there is enough evidence that Hulk possesses at least a limited ability to manipulate forms of energy, particularly gamma radiation. The Hulk's body works like a "gamma battery" by creating and radiating gamma energy. Armageddon once wanted to use Hulk's own energy to power machines capable of bringing his son back to life. However, the Hulk outsmarted him by consciously force feeding his energy into the machines at a rate too fast for them to handle and they overloaded and exploded. He also generated massive amounts of gamma energy during World War Hulk. The extent to which Hulk controls his own energy, and extrinsic sources of energy, has yet to be established.